Sunday, May 25, 2008
a tale of culinary woe.

An act of God was defined as something which no reasonable man could have expected. --A.P. Herbert

that's right, i am still hoping and praying for a miracle; one of these days i would LOVE to wake up and just have no headache. that'd be stupendous, wouldn't it? really, i can't imagine many things i'd like better. if that's too drastic, i'd settle for finding a pill or treatment that would make the pain manageable. :D

onto my tale of woe.

last week i pulled out my favorite cookbook (from Christmas) -- martha stewart's Great Food fast. in it was this recipe for Chicken Chilaquiles. my husband and i, we love mexican food. i adore cilantro, so we were all set. i got cooking. except, of course, i had to half the recipe - there's only 2 of us (cue ominous music).

you can see where this is going, right?

cooking + migraine = trouble.


if you clicky on over to the recipe, you'll see that it calls for "2 canned chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped (about 1 heaping tablespoon), plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from same can)"

silly me, reading it too quickly, thought it said 2 CANS chipotle chiles...

now you REALLY see where this is going.

so i smartly halved that, and dumped my one WHOLE CAN of chipotle chiles in (plus all the sauce, don't know what i was thinking there...maybe i wasn't?)

the picture should've clued me in, my dish was a lot brown-er than martha's. but really, does mine ever look as good as hers? no. so onward and upward we went. to the dinner table!

expecting rave reviews, i serve the meal. i should tell you that my husband is probably the most enthusiastic audience you'll ever cook for (my mom and sister can attest to this). he just LOVES anything and everything you cook for him. so if he doesn't *LOVE* it, you have really done something wrong.

...

i had done something wrong.

this dish was WAY too spicy. i mean WAAAAY too spicy. we struggled through, with lots of cheese and sour cream and chips. the whole time, i'm thinking, jeez, martha! why so spicy?

i should've known. another case of bad recipe reading by yours truly.

anyone have any tales of culinary disaster to share with me?

edited to add: spencer would like me to point out that he actually he liked it. additionally, he ate both firsts and seconds. duly noted.

Labels: ,






4 Comments:
Blogger Muum had this to say:

Oh, I 'can' see how you made that mistake. YOu do have a good husband, though, who is appreciative about food! Good story. I think you should put a Sharpie mustache on Martha's face in that cookbook.

7:02 AM 

Blogger Migraine Chick had this to say:

I've managed to turn Easy Mac into a disaster, during a bad migraine spell, and I'm still getting over my pizza pan incident. Cooking is dangerous stuff for us migraine girls!

9:27 AM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I don't even have migraines, and I've made big cooking mistakes just by not reading the recipe (try 1 cup of oil instead of 1/4 cup of oil and 1 cup water on a cake mix, etc.).

10:47 AM 

Blogger Mom K had this to say:

When I was dating Dana, we invited another couple to eat mexican food with us. Using his mom's recipe for sour cream enchiladas, I thought we couldn't fail. Unfortunately, we used chopped jalapenos instead of chopped green chiles and the enchiladas were so blazing hot that the other couple couldn't eat them. In my defense, the cans look very similar on the shelf in the store!! They made us a very nice meal the next week-not spicy.

1:11 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner