Saturday, September 08, 2007

this entry's for you, Migraine Chick!

thanks for all the feedback and ideas on the last entry! i found some more pain/headache blogs that i'll be stopping by again.

there was a request made for me to expound on my nausea tricks and fixes. i will GLADLY share what i've found, and welcome more ideas in the comments section. it's been 2 1/2 years that i've had this daily pain, but i know that compared to many, i'm just a beginner. ;)

so here are my favorite nausea fixes:

1. 7-up (many people use ginger ale, i've also heard flat coke and the like)
2. ginger tea
3. peppermint gum, mints, etc. something that keeps the mint flavor going.
4. cool pack on my forehead, doesn't necessarily get rid of the nausea, but helps me feel better while i'm working on it.
5. OTC - Emetrol. it is sickly sweet, but if you can choke it down, it often does the job. there's also generics at most drugstores.
6. finally, i have a prescription anti-nausea drug - i take reglan. but of course, there are many different drugs to help different ppl., so check with your doctor. this is my equivalent to a 'rescue drug', i rarely have to take it, but when i do, i'm so glad it's there.
7. i've also gone to the urgent care w/migraines - my main concern being not the pain but that i hadn't been able to keep anything down for a few days. they filled me up w/fluids and found an injectable anti-nausea med for me.

hopefully this helps - maybe there was something in there you hadn't heard about before?

what do you do for nausea? what works and what doesn't?

Labels: , , ,






3 Comments:
Blogger Muum had this to say:

I've only experienced pregnancy nausea, but my best fix was a 4 pack of Mentos (and eating all the time!)

6:39 PM 

Blogger Migraine Chick had this to say:

Thanks so much for posting this, Sassy! I just printed the list and I'm going to try some of your suggestions.

4:59 AM 

Blogger K had this to say:

I suffer from migraines too, I usually have at least 15 or so a month. I feel your pain.

For nausea I use homiopathic noxvomica (not sure of spelling there) and also mints.

A cold pack never works for me, but heat works really well.

I just discovered a wonderful, all natural nasal spray that really does work to help prevent migraines. You have to use it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. It's called Sinol Nasal Spray and can be found at some CVS pharmacy stores. It cannot be in any heat or it will stop working.

I am also beginning to learn that certian foods seem to bring on migraines and that drinking lots of water seems to help prevent them somewhat.

I hope you find some relief soon!

6:46 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner