Thursday, June 05, 2008

About four years ago this week, Spencer proposed to me. It was a surprise in some senses, and in other ways I was expecting it (the proposal) to come any day now. Since my birthday was coming up in a few weeks, I figured he'd probably wait and propose then.

He was living in Sacramento, doing an internship at Intel, while I was going to school at BYU in Provo, Utah. We talked every night and chatted online, but it was still hard to be apart. I missed him terribly.


So Spencer planned a long-distance date; we would both do the same things at the same time and talk on the phone during the date. The events that were planned included ice cream (one of my most favorite treats) and star gazing. I thought it sounded like a really sweet idea, and I could tell he was trying to help me not to miss him as much. Spencer had a prior commitment with his friend, so the date wasn't set to start until 10pm or so.

I set out to Ben & Jerry's for ice cream. I'd been looking forward to that all day. Once I arrived at Ben&Jerry's, I was to tell the cashier that she was Spencer Kellis' girlfriend. Then the cashier told me that I got a waffle cone and two scoops of ice cream, and that Spencer had already paid for it. There was also a red rose behind the counter for her. This was really nice, and at the time I was thinking, 'How did he manage that from California?' -- all the girls who worked there were asking me questions about this über-romantic boyfriend of mine. I sat outside the shop, eating my ice cream and talking to Spencer on the phone. I thought the night had peaked. How romantic.

Then, it was time for star gazing. We'd decided on a field (next to Spencer's aunt's house) where she would go and look at the stars. When I pulled up, it was very dark, and a little bit late to be romping around in the dark on my own, so I locked the doors and told Spencer (over the phone) that I was going to watch the stars from inside the car. He insisted that I get out of my car. I mentioned that there were possibly boogey-men or thieves out there, and he'd most likely feel guilty if I were mugged while star-gazing over the phone with him. Regardless, he insisted that it was a safe field (?!) and that if anything went wrong, I could go to his aunt's house nearby. So off I went, into the deep dark yonder.

I walked towards the field, and as I went through the gate, I saw four tiki torches surrounding a porch swing and a small table with five dozen roses on it. Also, there was a tall man standing nearby. Once I realized that Spencer was there to see me, I ran to him and was so surprised to see him that I started crying. I couldn't *believe* that he had pulled this over on me and flew into Utah to surprise me. I hugged him and cried some more.

We sat on the swing and talked for a few minutes. Then Spencer asked if I was ready. I did not know what he was talking about. (I know, how stupid can I be, right?) Spencer got down on one knee and told me how much he loved me, that he wanted to make me happy for the rest of my life, and asked if I'd be his wife. I said, "Yes, of course!" Then, Spencer pulled a beautiful ring out of his pocket and put it on my finger. I was very impressed with the ring Spencer chose, I didn't help him to know what I wanted, but he knew me well enough to know exactly what I would like. It was the most romantic evening I could've asked for.
I love you more now than I did then, Spence. Thanks for taking a leap of faith and changing my life forever.

Labels: , , ,






10 Comments:
Blogger Ashley had this to say:

That is one of the sweetest engagement stories I have heard. As I was reading I just kept thinking, "Wow," and things like "he's good!"

11:31 AM 

Blogger Windlost had this to say:

Oh, I feel all teary-eyed. What a beautiful story. And you are a very brave girl because I would not have gotten out of the car in the darkness. What a guy! I can see why you adore him...and you are a doll too, so he got lucky also!! xox Terri

1:49 PM 

Blogger "Grandi" had this to say:

A guy that can pull off something that romantic is definitely a keeper!! Happy Anniversary!!

4:32 PM 

Blogger Muum had this to say:

He is definitely a keeper!

4:50 PM 

Blogger Iccle One had this to say:

Huge awwwwww!!! That was lovely!

8:51 AM 

Blogger deborah had this to say:

that is such a sweet and beautiful story. there is no stinking way I would have gotten out of the car, especially after he mentioned the idea of the "possibility" of boogey-men. MEN

5:26 AM 

Blogger Migraine Chick had this to say:

What a wonderful and romantic story!

5:32 AM 

Blogger Sue had this to say:

*sniff*

That is so very sweet!! And romantic!

10:59 AM 

Blogger Mom K had this to say:

True love!

11:27 AM 

Blogger Shama-Lama Mama had this to say:

Oh. My. Gosh. That is just the sweetest proposal story I ever heard! He must have panicked when you didn't want to get out of the car.

The funny thing is, I am picturing him dragging a porch swing out to the field while on the phone with you while you are eating ice cream at Ben and Jerry's.

Spence rocks. You deserve nothing less.

5:13 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner