Monday, July 17, 2006
one unimportant thing, and another REALLY important thing

first, the unimportant thing. have you guys ever made your own salad dressing before? i did today (due to the migraine diet), and it was FABULOUS! i took some recommendations from the betty crocker cookbook, but this is what i ended up with;
oil (unfortunately vegetable b/c olive is not allowed)
vinegar
black pepper
sugar
thyme
oregano

and voila! a fabulous dressing! i wish i'd have had some garlic, but alas, i couldn't find my garlic powder; it must have been hiding in the back of the shelf (i am too short to see back there).

now for something else; i rarely (that is, never) discuss anything political or of any importance on my blog; i don't want arguments or heated debates -- but on many levels this isn't political; it's about humanity. i'm talking about darfur -- the genocide that is taking place there, and the utter lack of the U.S.' aid. it tears at my heart to read about it, and to know that really, nothing is being done. if i were in those women's place, and i was fearing for my life and that of my child's, i would be hoping and praying that someone thousands of miles away would be doing something; that the rest of the world would be outraged and come to the assistance of my country. it seems to me that nothing is more important than helping to protect these people and restore order to their country. please visit www.savedarfur.org and read more about this -- sign an online postcard, write to your senators and representatives about this. it reminds me of WWII and the genocide of the jews; not having been alive at that time, i can't really say it reminds me of that, but what i mean is, i think in 30 years, we'll look back (and our grandchildren will ask us) why no one did anything to prevent this tragedy? did we know what was happening? if so, how could we as a country have turned a blind eye?

this quote was shamelessly lifted from the savedarfur.org site;

'if every member of the house and senate had received 100 letters from people back home saying we have to do something about Rwanda, when the crises was first developing, then I think the response would have been different.'
--former U.S. senator Paul Simon






4 Comments:
Blogger Kelly had this to say:

I'm a member of that Darfur site and I feel the same way as you.
It is horrible and it breaks my heart.

1:14 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

That dressing recipe sounds yummy. I actually made dressing from scratch when my in-laws came to visit, and it turned out surprisingly well (thank goodness!).

Thanks for calling attention to the situation in Darfur. The more people who know the better.

10:57 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Sorry, but Tom Cruise's baby watch and Bush saying "shit" is far more important!

It's a sad state of affairs! :(

1:22 PM 

Blogger Kelly Wolfe had this to say:

Amen. Amen.

Lisa

3:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner