Friday, January 04, 2008
overheard...

in panda express tonight (BTW, try their Thai Cashew chicken the next time you're there)

there was a crowd of HS cheerleaders eating dinner together, in their full cheerleader apparel. as they're leaving, throwing away their trash right behind us, one says,

'so how can we lose some weight besides going anorexic?'

i just about fell off my chairs, ya'll. apparently they couldn't see that they were all TEENY! none of them needed to lose weight -- far from it!

is it possible to teach our daughters (i speak of mine in the theoretical sense) to love their bodies in this world, in our society? or even to feel that it's one small part of who they are, not their defining characteristic?

console me.

Labels: ,






6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

That's crazy. And you know they've heard about proper eating in health classes and possibly from their coaches and their parents and maybe even from television, but still they see anorexia as the only way. Let's hope it's only that girl who was confused, and that the other set her straight!

10:17 PM 

Blogger Kateastrophe had this to say:

I wish I had some answer. I had an awesome body in high school and ALWAYS wanted to loose weight too! Stupid media. If only my body NOW could go back and beat the crap out of my body THEN. Sheesh!

11:53 PM 

Blogger Kateastrophe had this to say:

Loose weight? Did I really just type that?

Apparently my high school brain needs to come beat up my post-college brain!

11:54 PM 

Blogger Emily had this to say:

lol, kate. if it makes you feel any better, i didn't notice in the first comment. :)

10:20 AM 

Blogger kimberlie had this to say:

oh thats so sad! If i were you and had a cake of soap handy i would have washed their mouths out!

(Or, maybe i wouldnt have...)

8:37 PM 

Blogger Heather had this to say:

Oh, Emily. I am SO with you. I have been hearing so much of this kind of stuff lately. Even from adult women. Why is it that we spend so much time bagging on our bodies and so much energy trying to punish ourselves into a size 6.

It's ridiculous, really.

Some Geneen Roth books might be good food for your soul. I recently read "Appetites" and LOVED it. She also has a great website: Geneen Roth.com

7:04 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner