Wednesday, February 13, 2008
stress in the life of emily?

i thought i'd give you a little peek into my life as of late. that's what this blog is all about, right? but usually i try to leave out the crazy and weird parts -- no one wants to read about that, do they?

i was reading an entry over at Magically Mama, and it was just what i needed to hear.

i'm the kind of girl who likes to have things picked up, put away, and clean. i literally feel lighter and more calm in my home when it's clean. so conversely, when things are cluttered and/or dirty, i feel like it's weighing on me. i'm sure you can see where i'm going with this....

it's a matter of keeping up with the dishes, the cleaning, the laundry.... and with such limited energy and (low-pain) time, i feel as though i'm always trying to catch up.

which is NOT to say that my dear husband doesn't help, because he does. a lot. whenever i feel overwhelmed w/things, he steps in and does whatever it takes. but i WANT to be able to do it.

i feel like these chores are the small things that are *my* responsibility -- and it's frustrating when i can't keep up with them.

at the same time, i feel like it would really help if i cut myself some more slack -- if i didn't always expect my home to be clean and (this is key) ACCEPTING a lower standard. it's been more than 3 years (w/these migraines) and i still haven't gotten it yet. i understand it mentally, but can't truly BELIEVE it.

*le sigh*

you can see why her entry appealed so much to me. it's what i need to hear -- it's what i'm working on. how do you combat these kinds of problems? do you feel overwhelmed when you fall behind?

Labels: , ,






6 Comments:
Blogger HolyMama! had this to say:

meh. i like a clean kitchen. but right now i'm at your site and the kitchen is dirty, so i probably don't care about this stuff as much as you seem to. :D

yeah. lighten up on yourself! you deserve it.

3:04 PM 

Blogger Muum had this to say:

I have been dealing with the endless-ness of house work for a long time, and sometimes there is enough going on that it just isn't possible to get everything done. I've decided it isn't so much a matter of 'balance' as it is 'focus' . Sometimes you can't have balance, but you can be focused on the most important things, which I think you are. YOu are handling this migraine thing waaay better than I would, and focusing on getting better seems like a good thing to do. And managing your life, and household chores , and keeping yourself sane... y'know

8:11 AM 

Blogger Liberty had this to say:

overwhelmed doesn't even begin
to convey how i feel when i am
behind with things. business things
especially.

hard as it is, try to relax. i
know i have to check myself from
time to time.

have a great valentine's emily!

12:30 PM 

Blogger Erin had this to say:

ALWAYS! Is my house ever as clean as I would really like it to, no, well maybe the first second after I'm done cleaning before the kids get to it. Kids add a big challenge to the keeping things clean aspect. I'm still trying to figure it out.

1:07 PM 

Blogger Barbara Kivowitz had this to say:

I carry this image of myself as an old, old lady of 95, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch looking out over a field of green. I ask her,"Did I get this life right? Did I make good choices? Should I have spent more time cleaning up my house?"

She tends to have very clear opinions. What would your old lady say to you?

1:31 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I SO hear you. I've spent the morning cleaning out my son's closet while he's out of town. 5 garbage bags of "stuff" have gone out, and I'm only done with his closet. Meanwhile, I've been yelling at my other kids to "get off your lazy butts and go clean up your room". Oh, yeah. I'm mother of the year, today. I wouldn't let my 11 year old go to her basketball game until she cleaned the bathroom. She had all morning to do it, yet she put it off until basketball time and then realized I was serious about not letting her go until it was done. So, although she was a little bit late, maybe she'll realize that mom is serious when I ask her to do her jobs.

Sorry for the ranting and raving, but I hear you. I get cranky and yell a lot when the house is a mess, too, and since it seems to be only me that is cleaning, I get overwhelmed easily.

12:44 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I'm 25 - married, and recently graduated from Brigham Young University, studying music; I play piano. My husband is just starting his PhD program at the University of Utah in computer architecture.

previous


archives


Your Heart Out

Links to Blogs I love!

credits

Powered by: Blogger
image by: Stock.xchng
design by: girliebits.
mws banner